Sunday, January 25, 2015

Galleys & Galleons, part 3

Now that I have some ships together (see previous post), my thoughts have turned to getting them painted.  First, primer.  I have found that my usual primer, Reaper Master Series Brush-On Primer, has seen better days and has mostly settled out in the dropper, even after much shaking:



The two on the right were 'primed' with my remaining Reaper primer - you almost can not tell that there was anything there.  The pair in the middle were coated with Vallejo Surface Primer.  While the coverage is good, this stuff has a bit of a stench to it, and I do not think that I will try it again.  On the left pair, I used a 1:1 mix of white gesso and grey gesso.

The gesso seems to be working OK.  I have used gesso before, but mostly on 28mm figures and I am concerned about covering in details on these small ships.  The gesso is not fully cured, though, so we will see...

2 comments:

DeanM said...

Great looking project. I had a recent bad experience with spray paint, but it was a new can of Krylon silver - no matter how much I shook the can, the paint basically dripped out; plus I don't particularly care for the new spray nozzles.

El Grego said...

Thanks for stopping by, Dean.

I'm sorry to hear about your spray-can troubles - I stay clear of them nowadays!