Saturday, April 2, 2016

WW1 Russian ships, part 3

Inspiration can strike suddenly, and this time I took advantage of the situation and worked on my WTJ ships a bit.


Here is my small flotilla of 1/1800 ships - German cruisers on the left, Russians on the right.  One can see that I have already primed the first Russian cruiser - Bogatyr - but I forgot one small detail... masts!  So, back to work.

I have some thin brass wire that I use for masts, and this time I decided to use plastic rod as well.

Before putting in the masts, I looked around for some pictures to help guide the work.  The WTJ ships have holes for masts already present in the model, in cruisers and larger at least, so siting the masts was not a problem, and I found a pair of pictures in one of my books - The Imperial Russian Navy by A.J. Watts - showing differences between Bogatyr and Oleg.  The book shows that Oleg has a slightly different bridge structure, without searchlight wings, and the masts are slightly different also.

In the pics below, one can just barely see the trimmed bridgework on Oleg, the rightmost cruiser.







Bogatyr from the bow






Oleg from the bow


It will be difficult to see the change until I get some primer on him.

And, some simple masts:



Bogatyr (the grey one) has slightly shorter masts, and Oleg has a lookout position on the mainmast.  I think, after the fact, that using the plastic rod is a bit off for the yards.  I will not repeat it with the German ships but the rest of the Russians will, except using the same brass rod as the masts.

2 comments:

Prufrock said...

They look really good. Very classy work.

El Grego said...

Thank you!