25 June 2017

The return of an old favorite, with a twist

Along with the Anglo-Dutch ships, I purchased a few miniatures for an era that I once played extensively - ACW naval:


These ships are part of a new series of ships from Thoroughbred Models.  Thoroughbred is well-known for their line of 1/600 ACW ships, and I once had quite a few.  They were sold years ago to make ends meet, but now I am ready to return to the genre except that my new collection will be in 1/1200 scale.


First up is CSS Arkansas:


Just 43mm or so in length, this model is a bit small but the detail is very nice.  This is a one-piece cast, although there is a flagstaff and flag included with the kit.

Here is a port bow shot:




Next is a Union 90-day gunboat:




This model is more complicated, with masts, bowsprit, foredeck, and a pair of separately-cast guns.


Following these is another Union vessel.  This one is an armed ferry:



Not a big ship at 37mm in length, but there is a lot of detail including a very nice 'walking beam' assembly for the engines.


Honestly, I find this project to be much less intimidating than the Anglo-Dutch ships, simply due to the greatly reduced amount of rigging needed per ship.  Some of these will required little to none.  Of course, once I get to USS Hartford, things will change!

7 comments:

  1. Cool ships! I used to play acw naval many moons ago and really enjoyed it. The ships are indeed a lot more accessible than rigged ones to paint.I look forward to seeing them painted and in action.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alan. ACW ships are some of the most visually interesting vessels around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Lovely details on those. I'm sure you will have them looking spectacular in no time, as you always do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ACW naval. I haven't played it in a while, but you have me thinking I should get to it again. I spent a lot of time and money making color printed and laminated ships cards for Sail and Steam Navies, which is quick and fun, but I still prefer Ironclads after all these years and several side-trips to other rules.

    Each has its glitches, however. In Sail and Steam Navies, it's too easy to shoot away the stacks on Confederate rams and reduce them to being nearly dead in the water (or unable to make headway against a current). In Ironclads, it's too easy to kill the entire crew of a Union monitor without doing any substantive damage to the ship itself.

    I look forward to seeing these painted and rigged. I don;t rig my ships, too fiddly, but I admire your pluck in doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, David.

    There are lots of options for rules. I have yet to try Sail and Steam navies; i might need to try it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is interesting
    I have not ventured into these parts before
    But I might well just now!

    ReplyDelete