14 August 2010

German ships, part 1

We saw the state of the Russian fleet last time - so here are the Germans:


The bases are not quite finished; those that are blue will get one more coat, and the metal ones will get two! The torpedo boats do look dark and sinister, as they should, although when I paint the wakes on the bases they will pop out more.




A broadside shot of the fleet. The closest ship, minelayer Albatross, is not nearly done, but if you look past her to the cruisers you can just see that I tried to paint the two-tone scheme that was used by the Germans in WW1. Too subtle, maybe, but in absolute scale terms probably too dark. I do like the effect so I think I will keep it...

4 comments:

  1. Lovely proportions on those German ships - and I thoroughly agree about the subtly different greys - looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sir! The Navwar ships really do look much better with some paint on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good, sir . . . but I was surprised that your "Pre-Dreadnought and WWI" manufacturer's list doesn't include a link to the War Times Journal 1/3000 ships:

    http://www.wtj.com/store/

    Personally, while the above are lovely models, I have chosen 1/2400 for my Pre-Dreads . . . and I'm using Panzerschiffe . . . because my eyes are old and not so sharp any more.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Immense ommission corrected - thanks Jeff!

    ReplyDelete